top of page
  • Nicole Rabbitt

How to file taxes when you're a college student

It’s that time of the year again, and we’re not talking about Spring Break – it's Tax Season!

For college students, filing taxes can cause tons of confusion. Questions like: “Do you claim yourself? Do you let your parents claim you? Do you need forms from CCU?” often come up during this time. Even with today’s technology, like online filing, students don’t know where to begin and are left feeling like they faked it through their tax process.

Fortunately for CCU students, many forms of assistance are available for college students to help them through this difficult time. For example, the E. Craig Wall Sr. College of Business Administration has paired up with the Internal Revenue System to offer the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.

This free program allows CCU students to meet with trained student volunteers who will help file taxes and walk students through the process to clarify filing for years to come.

Online services, like, offers great tips to those filing for the first time:

1. Call you parents – Find out if your parents are claiming your or not

2. Organize your documents – Get everything ready so the process is as easy as possible

3. Take advantage of free tax preparations and filing – CCU offers these

4. Be Aware That You Might Have to File Taxes in Two States

5. Take Advantage of Applicable Education Deductions and Credits

Familiarize yourself with programs offered at CCU and in your community to help you through this stressful time.

For more information on VITA, including hours and a full list of what to bring to the program visit:

bottom of page