Right now, protecting ourselves and our loved ones from this pandemic is the most important thing. To do this, we have to practice social distancing to slow the spread of COVID-19. This means no parties, hanging out with friends or going to see people you don’t live with. However, there are many ways you can make the most of the quarantine days safely in your own home.
1. Read a book: I don’t know about you, but almost every time I go to a bookstore I get another book despite having so many on my bookshelf that I haven’t had the time to get to yet. For me, this has been an opportunity to finally catch up on some reading and I decided to start with Stephen King’s novel, “Joyland."
2. Call a loved one or a friend: Social distancing is for the best, but it can get lonely. Call a friend or family member if you’re in need of some human interaction.
3. Spend time with the people you live with: Many of us were so caught up in the busyness of our lives, we didn’t always make time for those closest to us. Take advantage of that time to make memories with whoever you are living with whether it’s family, roommates, your partner or pets.
4. Cook or bake: While social distancing, you may find yourself preparing most of your meals. This can be a great opportunity to learn some new recipes whether it be for dinner or a tasty dessert. The Delish website has a ton of easy recipes to help you get started.
This lemon and asparagus chicken pasta recipe can be found on the Delish website and only takes about 30 minutes to prepare. Photo courtesy of Delish.
5. Get creative, make art: I find painting a really relaxing pastime that makes the hours go by quickly. Find a medium you enjoy using to make your art and do it!
6. Get some exercise: It is still safe to go outside for exercise as long as you aren’t interacting with anyone from outside of your household, according to The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's website. If you go out, continue to social distance by keeping at least six feet between yourself and others. Take your dog for a walk, go for a run or ride a bike!
7. Play a game: Gather those you are social distancing with for a game of Monopoly, Uno, or charades. If you’ re social distancing alone, play an online or video game!
8. Spring cleaning: This is a great time to get to those chores you otherwise would’ve been too busy to get done.
9. Keep up with online classes: Personally, I struggle with distance learning, so this has been a bit of a challenge for me. The semester isn’t over yet, so don’t neglect your studies! Keep busy by keeping up with classwork; try not to fall behind!
10. Rest and recharge: If you can, use this time to recharge your batteries. Sleep in; take care of yourself mentally and physically.